Monday, May 31, 2010

Hiking, High Notes and a few things "Between"

A few weeks ago my client hosted an annual department outing on a Saturday morning and invited me to come along. The activity for the day - hiking.

With an 8 a.m. bus departure time. On Saturday.

Let's not focus so much on the Saturday or even the 8 a.m. Let's focus on the fact that the activity was hiking. I'm not going to lie or sugar coat this - I don't like physical activity. I don't like the outdoors. I especially don't like physical activity in the outdoors.
But, seeing as it was a client event and they were gracious enough to include me (and without the work-related incentive I'd probably never see a hiking trail while in Korea - or anywhere for that matter), I decided to go.
Now, clearly I don't have any experience with the current "refreshments" for outdoor activities unless its a poolside cocktail, but when we were handed a plastic bag with a cucumber and a bottle of water in it I thought, "Hmmm, okay."
I guess the last sports related "snack" I recall was eating packets of Kool-Aid during summer swim meets when I was like eight. (And for the record, since most of you reading this are American and I can use sarcasm, that was a nutritional and clearly healthy way to get an edge on the competition...)
So, we arrive at the base of the "mountain" - I put this in quotes for those who actually climb mountains because this is probably more akin to skiing in a Kansas corn field, but to me, it was plenty intimidating. Regardless, I've got a cucumber, a bottle of water and a plastic bag.
I find comfort knowing that I can suffocate myself with the bag if this is as bad as I anticipate it being. But I'm trusting the Koreans that I'm ready to go.
About 20 minutes in, we came upon a rest area where there is this pile of stones. On a serious note, I asked for my fellow hikers to explain the significance of this pile. They explained that this is called a "mountain of hope." The stone mound behind me is the result of hikers placing a stone into the pile and making a wish. I placed a stone in the pile shortly before this picture, and while I'd like to say my wish was "Please just let me make it up the mountain..." I must admit it was a tad bit more serious - and a very timely occurrence. (Love you, Mabel!!!)

Regardless of the special meaning of the photo op, please note that at this point - 20 minutes in -I've lost my top two layers already and, well, I'm sure you're not surprised, but I'm a bit winded.

I'm thinking this looks like a great place to park it, eat a cucumber, explain to other lazy vistors how great a big pile of rocks is and wait for everyone to report back on how the view was.

No such luck.

From this point we started climbing steps.

This was my next break - yes, 1,200 steps up and I'm told we're not quite half way there yet.


I'm really thinking about the plastic bag in my pocket at this point...but forge on.

And, alas, I make it to the top.

The view is a bit hazy, but that is Seoul off in the distance. The stone I'm proudly posing with probably says something like "Don't fall heading back down, Jelly Legs."

These are some of my Korean colleagues who truly made it a great day - especially once we got back to the bottom of the mountain...

Where lunch was a bit more my speed...
This is Korean rice wine. A great reward after a three hour hike.

Most traditional Korean food is cooked at the table - this was a chicken dish with fresh vegtables.

Hiking and healthy food - no wonder Koreans are so thin.

We had quite the meal and celebration this afternoon after the hike. This will definitely be one of my first/best memories of my time in Korea.

But let's be serious, if I'm going to get excited about an invitation it's not going to be to go hiking.

Now a restaurant opening. That is more my speed.

Through friends of friends - What? you think I'm sitting at home on the weekends and not meeting anyone? - I met the owner of a new restaurant, Between.

The opening party was on par with any Dallas opening I've been to. Between is beautiful and is undoubtedly going to be a success.
I had to take a few photos during the day to show the multi-level exterior.


The night of the opening party it was pouring rain. Which with a bit of knowledge of the logistics of openings suspect this threw quite the wrench in the flow of events, but you'd never have known it.
Mimes welcomed guests...

And green "warriors" posed throughout the party...
And then there was this.
Yes, I think its a pig leg. But we move on...

(I think I've seen people eating bigger turkey legs at the Texas State Fair and Texas Motor Speedway - and yes, I have actually been to both - so don't act like it looks so disgusting. But really, I think it's gross.)

Cocktails, flowers, Hermes china, a pig hoof...this definitely beat hiking. However, my "Jelly Legs" still had a bit of trouble getting me up to the outdoor patio on the third floor...

So what did I learn the from hiking and the opening of Between?
Well, there's always a first time to reach the top of the stairs. And when we saw this place, we were definitely made a b-line to the third floor for my first Korean karaoke experience. (Note the obligatory Korean picture pose.)
This was not your average karaoke bar - as if you couldn't tell from the outside.
If you look closely you can see that these are private rooms.
In the lobby they have private microphone storage.
Private. Microphone. Storage.
Just think about that statement for a minute.
For those of us not fancy enough to have a microphone in the vault they were more than happy to ensure that our loaner was sanitary.
I guess you could call this a microphone condom.
Or a nose warmer.
The floor en route to our private karaoke room was quite interesting. Sort of like being in a giant game of Candy Land...
And it was a bit confusing where they expected you to walk with signs like this...
In case you haven't caught on, my friend likes to imitate common Korean photo poses...hilarity at every turn.
Pun intended.
Our room was stocked with everything you'd need to make a complete idiot of yourself in private. And, of course, had a room attendant to help that process along.
I understood the tamborine and the maracas, but wasn't quite sure about the hammer.
"The Supremes" wasted no time getting the microphones going.
It took me a bit longer, but eventually, a random Korean version of "Lovefool" by The Cardigans sucked me in.
Actually, who knows who The Cardigans are?
No one.
The point is that I'd had enough cocktails, climbed a "mountain," been to a restaurant opening and wasn't going to miss out on singing karaoke in Korea. Especially when I was certain that Gene Wilder was going to walk in at any minute and tell me that I'd won the Golden Ticket and was going on a tour of the Willy Wonka Chocolate Factory as a result of making it through the first month in Seoul.


In the end, these were all "high notes" of my first month in Korea.
First month. Five to go.
Wow.
Luckily, I'm the one with the camera...

1 comment:

  1. okay, i want to come to korea now. looks like your having a great time and I'm still laughing at the water bottle and cucumber!

    ReplyDelete