Sunday, May 23, 2010

Buddha's Birthday

Friday, May 21, was a national holiday in Korea to celebrate Buddha's birthday. I spent the afternoon in Insadong where there was a street festival. It was quite interesting to see and there were plenty of activites, most for children.

There were stations set up all along the street where children could partake in all sorts of arts and crafts projects. Korean children who have begun learning English love to speak to foreigners to practice their English. Most young children - probably around kindergarten/first grade - usually can't say more than "hello" but its so cute to see how proud and excited they are to say it. It usually makes them giggle when you say hello back to them. And it reminds you - well, me - that a five year old knows more of my language than I do of his.

I was also approached by three high school students who had been assigned to approach English speaking vistors and interview them. I suspect this was not an easy assignment and certainly one that took some confidence. All three of these boys had excellent English and they recorded the interview so I'm guessing that they may have also had to transcribe it. They were more than happy to pose for a picture for me in return.

Children painting cloth bags...

An adult then ironed on a protective coating.
This was model building with sticks and glue.
These wooden plagues were then coated with lacquer.
And the artists were not just children. This man was hand painting fans.
This stand was selling nuts and other candies.

And this guy, well, he just baffled me.
He had a mirror, some candles, a microphone, a vase - with a soccer ball propped on top of it which he displayed on his speaker - a side table covered in a lovely green horse-patterned cloth, a tea pot on a burner and, if you look closely at the table, you'll be able to see the clown horn. I'd love to know what exactly he transported all of this in...and know what on earth people were paying him to tell them. I have to assume he's some sort of psychic.
Or an escaped mental patient.

And then there was this guy. Sitting across the street from the above mental patient, loudly sharing his AMAZING talent with the entire festival.
Riveting.
I'm sure you'll agree.

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahahaha! Wow - I don't know what would me a more appropriate statement: one would enjoy the situation after a few drinks or being in the stuation would cause someone to want to have a few drinks...great video!

    ReplyDelete