Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Heart and Seoul

Today marks my four month anniversary in Seoul. Can you believe it took me this long to use the saying "Heart and Seoul?"

Well, I've actually figured out some legitimate connections that make using a twist on this idiom quite applicable to this post.

Four months ago I arrived in Seoul to work on-site for Samsung (a client of Edelman, my employer). Samsung was founded in 1938...the same year Hoagy Carmichael and Frank Loesser wrote the song "Heart and Soul."

Coincidence?

Well, duh, of course it is.

The real topic of this post is my visit to Namsan Tower. Similar to Seattle's Space Needle, the Tower is one of Seoul's most distinguished landmarks and can be seen from nearly everywhere in the city - even from my office window (look really closely in the center of the picture to the left of the crane).

Or, a bit more clearly, from the War Memorial.

We visited at night and made it more of an "adult visit" by having cocktails in the bar while enjoying the view. Unfortunately, I don't own a camera that is good enough to capture the night time views, but trust me they were spectacular.

There was much activity going on - from photographers honing their craft to hip-hop dance routines to outdoor art installations.



But what I found most interesting was that the Tower has become more than a symbol in the heart of Seoul, it's also become a symbol of the hearts of Seoul.
From what I understand, somewhere around late 2006 couples began placing "locks of love" on the fencing around the Tower. There are now literally thousands of locks on the fences.
The couple places a lock on the fence - usually with some sort of inscription on it - and then throws the key away.
I couldn't resist taking a photo of this young couple who had placed a lock on the fence and were taking pictures of themselves.
They look about 14.
I'm sure they're very serious.

And, I couldn't help but wonder how soon one of them is back with a bolt cutter...
So, four months in the future - literally - and all is good in Seoul.
But make no mistake, my heart is still grounded deep in the heart of Texas.





































No comments:

Post a Comment